Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a list of the London Pathway Partnership’s frequently asked questions. These questions and answers came from individuals like you and we hope you find this information helpful.

How can I find out the catchment area for each service?

Please follow the instructions in our Services section. The details should be self-explanatory, but if you still have a query, please contact the relevant clinical lead (the people behind LPP)

How do I make a referral?

We welcome telephone and email enquiries – please locate the appropriate clinical lead from our People behind LPP section. More detailed referral information is available from the pdf forms in the Downloads section. All our services need to know the the reason(s) for referral, the probation area where the case is held, and varying amounts of information about the case, such as offending history and personal background. Where possible, we ask for a copy of any existing case formulation, There are no specific referral forms, and we are happy to accept copies of previous reports if accompanied by a covering letter.

What information do you need if I want to refer someone?

See the f.a.q. on ‘How do I make a referral?’

Please follow the instructions in our Services section. There are also ‘information for referrers’ pdf forms for all LPP services in the Downloads section. The details should be self-explanatory, but if you still have a query, please contact the relevant clinical lead (the people behind LPP)

Can I talk to someone about a particular case?

Yes of course – we welcome enquiries about possible referrals. We are also happy to offer telephone or email advice and signposting regarding offenders from London or the South of England. Please approach whichever clinical lead appears to be the most appropriate; you will find their contact details in our People behind LPP section.

Does LPP offer any treatment services?

All three of our prison services – HMPYOI Aylesbury, HMP Swaleside & HMP Belmarsh offer a range of treatments for personality-disordered offenders who are not progressing smoothly through the system and/or who are likely to return to the community within the next 12-24 months. This includes both individual therapy and group work – either psycho-education or more intensive programmes based on principles of mentalisation based therapy, schema therapy and dialectical behaviour therapy. Please contact the clinical leads in the People behind LPP section for further details.

In the community we run mentalisation based therapy groups for violent offenders, and a sex offender programme (the Challenge Project) – both are for high-risk personality disordered offenders who live in London and are under the supervision of the probation service. Please go to our Services section and to our Downloads section for further details.

What is available for women?

For high risk female offenders whose case is held by a London probation officer and/or who intend to live in London, we have a small case management service run by Women in Prison. You will find further information in the Services section and as a pdf file in the Download section. The wider LPP community service, run in partnership with the National Probation Service (London) offers case consultation, formulation and pathways planning for women. For a more information, please see the Women in Prison website (***) or consult the national information available in our Downloads section.

How can my client access the service user forum/activities?

All service users wishing to access the forum need to be sponsored by a member of the wider LPP staff group, or by the specialist offender manager in the LDU (borough) where they are living. This sponsor has to go through the service user policy document with the individual, and retains responsibility for the service user, should there be any difficulties regarding their well being or behaviour whilst using the forum. All the service users must meet the criteria of the wider Offender Personality Disorder Pathway; that is, they have a history of serious offending and associated personality difficulties. The criteria are described on the home page of the Service User section.

What if I want to make a complaint

In the first instance, please do contact the clinical lead for the relevant service; we hope to resolve issues informally wherever possible, and we will respond quickly to any concern you raise. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can approach the PALS department of any of the participating mental health trusts in LPP. Any senior LPP staff member will provide you with the necessary information to make a formal complaint.

How do I work for Pathways?

All our new and vacant posts are advertised on the NHS Jobs website. However, we welcome enquiries from interested and appropriately qualified practitioners – contact one of our clinical leads for further information. Details of the clinical leads are in the People behind LPP section.